Move aside Baby Shower, the latest way to celebrate the impending birth of a new baby is with a Gender Reveal Party.
Held shortly after the 20-week gestation scan (when the sex of the baby is clear), Gender Reveal Parties are a celebration at which the expecting mother and father discover the gender of their baby along with their closest family and friends in a fun, creative way. They can be held in addition to, or as a combined Baby Shower celebration.
So, what do you need for a Gender Reveal Party? Well, in addition to the normal party food, drinks and location you’ll need a great way to reveal the baby’s sex to your guests, and even to yourselves!
We’ve pulled together some of our favorite (and most photogenic) ways to delight all your guests and take them on your pregnancy journey.
Remember, if you and your partner want to be surprised as well, make sure at your scan to ask your sonographer to write ‘boy’ or ‘girl’ on a piece of paper and seal it in an envelope which you can then provide to whoever is helping you organise the party.
- Balloon box gender reveal– pack a neutral coloured box with pink or blue helium balloons. When the time comes and you have everyone’s attention, open the box with your partner and the balloons will escape into the air. The floating balloons and excited parents make for an amazing photo opportunity, like actress Molly Sims did for her recent pregnancy earlier this year.
- Cake gender reveal – provide your baby gender envelope to your local bakery and ask them to fill a cake with pink or blue lollies or icing. Make sure the outside is a neutral-colour icing such as chocolate or vanilla. When you cut open the cake, the colour of the inside will be revealed. Alternatively, you could do the same with cupcakes and get the expecting parents to take a bite of the cupcake simultaneously to reveal their baby’s gender.
- Piñata gender reveal – hang the piñata high and fill it with blue or pink confetti then take a swing! If you have other children, this is a great one for them to get involved in and can be so much fun. Some piñatas come with a string to pull that opens them up – these ones are particularly good for photo opportunities as you can position it so the confetti rains down around the expecting parents.
More tips for the ultimate Gender Reveal Party:
- Before the big reveal, challenge your guests to guess the gender of your baby by choosing a blue or pink item on arrival. This can be anything of your choosing, from pink and blue cupcakes to hand-held moustaches or lips. This challenge adds to the anticipation of the reveal and is a great talking point for your guests.
- Don’t miss out on capturing one of your biggest surprises. Make sure you’ve got someone on hand to photograph or video the reveal, particularly your reactions and that of your partners when you finally find out your baby’s sex.
Shine in those photos!
Maive & Bo Maternity Boutique have a stunning collection of maternity dresses that will photograph beautifully at a Gender Reveal Party. Shop the gorgeous range of maternity and nursing dresses at Maive & Bo’s Australian online store (www.maiveandbo.com.au) or United States online store with some of these neutral and colourful prints:
Shop the Aria Cold Shoulder Dress in Black Cherry.
Shop the Harlow Maternity and Nursing Wrap Dress in Navy
Shop the Harlow Maternity Wrap Dress in Vintage Belle.
Shop the Chloe Off Shoulder Maternity Dress in Wine.
Shop the Aria Cold Shoulder Maternity Dress in Blossom.
This was a guest post written for Stylish Bump by Maive & Bo Maternity.